Kung Fu Panda is touted to be one of this year’s biggest animated movie blockbusters, so it’s no surprise that a videogame tie-in is currently being developed for multiple platforms. We’ve known for a few months that it was on the way, but today publisher Activision has officially confirmed the title, spilling rather a lot of beans (or bamboo shoots if you prefer) at the same time.
In the Kung Fu Panda video game, players embark on an epic, action-packed adventure as they master the specialized Kung Fu fighting styles of Po the Panda, the unlikely hero, his teacher Shifu, and the legendary Kung Fu masters, the Furious Five: Monkey, Tigress, Viper, Mantis and Crane. Gamers must traverse through 13 levels based on locations from the feature film, working their way to becoming the Dragon Warrior and eventually defeating the ultimate enemy, Tai Lung.
As well as the single-player mode, Kung Fu Panda offers the chance for multiple players to battle against each other in a variety of arenas, or work together through a number of challenges co-operatively.
- Master Po’s signature “Panda Style” maneuvers, including the Panda Quake, Panda Stumble and Iron Belly Blast. Plus earn awesome Kung Fu upgrades increasing Po’s strength, speed and agility, as he progresses from the unlikely hero to the powerful Dragon Warrior.
- Play as Po’s teacher, Shifu, the quick, agile and impressively skilled Kung Fu master. Players make use of Shifu’s wisdom and speed to perfect his whirlwind techniques.
- Take control of the daring Tigress, and utilize her fluid and powerful moves focusing on fast, stylized combat that allows gamers to master the Leaping Force and Tiger Charge maneuvers.
- Monkey’s spring-loaded tail attacks and explosive style make him one of the fastest Kung Fu masters around. His acrobatic abilities will let players execute a variety of lightening-fast platforming moves.
- Viper’s snake-like stealth abilities allow gamers to utilize her stealth abilities to pull off such moves as the Umbrella, Enemy Taxi and Choking Coil attacks.
- Players will soar with Crane’s Surface-to-Air Attacks using his graceful and light footed movements, which allow them to Fly, Glide and Swoop.
- Although the smallest of the Furious Five, Mantis’ super strength, strong grab maneuvers and super quick burst moves will allow players to deliver powerful and paralyzing strikes to foes.
We’re not expecting anything groundbreaking by any means, but as with so many movie tie-ins, there’s always a lot of potential, and, if anything, at least we’re guaranteed a decently voiced script.
Kung Fu Panda will be released on the Sony PlayStation 2 and Sony PlayStation 3 this May.