Syndication

Modern Warfare 2 BETA Screen

Last night saw the Big Multiplayer reveal of ‘Modern Warfare 2′ and the announcement of a new Limited edition 250GB Modern Warfare 2 branded console by Major Nelson. Also perhaps more interestingly a screen shot of the Multiplayer Beta used at the event revealed that it had been possibly rated by the ESRB.

The Beta screen states the “Game Experience May Change during Online play”, this is a requirement by the ESRB for items of public play and would not be needed in the private closed Beta (the current known state) - so with this notice inclusion comes again the possibility of a public Beta, but since Microsoft would not want the release of Halo3 ODST within the next few days spoilt we could have an announcement shortly afterwards (here’s hoping!)

Since there ‘is’ a Multiplayer Beta, why not make it public?

Going back to the new console bundle, an image is below:

“It’s got a 250GB hard drive. It comes with two wireless controllers. It includes the ‘Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2′ obviously – a copy of the game,” Major Nelson announced at the event. Though the package is currently only available for pre-order in the U.S., he added that Europeans would be able to place orders as well by the end of this week.

The 250GB HDD is not going to be sold seperately, so if you’re thinking of upgrading your console - now is the time!

Thanks to Darkru1er for this submission.

Source: Guardian

del.icio.us:Modern Warfare 2 BETA Screen newsvine:Modern Warfare 2 BETA Screen furl:Modern Warfare 2 BETA Screen reddit:Modern Warfare 2 BETA Screen fark:Modern Warfare 2 BETA Screen Y!:Modern Warfare 2 BETA Screen gamegrep:Modern Warfare 2 BETA Screen

25 comments on 'Modern Warfare 2 BETA Screen'

Comment by wardieboy on 2009-09-16 16:37:16

When are the hard drives going to sell at a realistic price??? I bought a 1TB external for my pc last week for £60, what can I get for my 360 for the same price, a measly 60 gig. It’s teh shitzorz

Comment by Sircolby45 on 2009-09-16 17:12:02

I agree that the separate HDD purchases are overpriced. But the MW2 bundle is actually a pretty good deal. You are getting MW2, a bigger HDD, and an extra wireless controller for only $100 more.

Comment by tony on 2009-09-16 21:51:02

Fake!!! They already said no Beta ;)

Comment by Jason Andrews on 2009-09-17 08:26:07

@tony… you can be a twat at times. They said they had no plans to make the beta public right now. There is a Beta for Infinity Ward, Microsoft & First Party Partners Worldwide.

Comment by augustusbot on 2009-09-17 12:46:15

I tried not to. But I’m compelled:

I can replace my PS3 hard drive with a normal, SATA hard drive I could buy for 60$… and it does not void a warranty.

Comment by Jason Andrews on 2009-09-17 15:47:40

:) lol

Comment by tony on 2009-09-17 21:02:48

Alright chill Jason Andrews can’t take a joke or what lol!
AND!
I like how they say a ps3 is like a ferrari and a xbox 360 is like a Fiat or something, so they are saying you use a ps3 every now and then because it isn’t very good for being used for day to day and is more unreliable ;)

Comment by Veritas on 2009-09-17 22:36:02

I pre-ordered it from Amazon. :P

My Xbox is on its way out, I think, so I’m giving it to my girlfriend to play Fable II and Bioshock with. I was already going to buy an Elite, so I figured why not just drop the extra $100 for the extras…

Comment by augustusbot on 2009-09-17 22:39:54

“My Xbox is on its way out, I think, so I’m giving it to my girlfriend to play Fable II and Bioshock with. I was already going to buy an Elite”

comments like this speak for themselves.

this is the reality of the xbox.

Comment by Veritas on 2009-09-18 03:33:36

They speak for themselves, eh?

With a console that’s supposed to have a ten year lifespan, does it not make sense to upgrade after a certain period of time, especially when both sides (one more guilty than the other) offer extremely limited warranties?

I’ve had my 360 since launch, and the only upgrades I’ve bought for it were a wireless adapter and a 120GB HDD, which were both second hand and for way less than they go for at retail. It was repaired once two years ago for E74, which Microsoft apologized for with $90 and three free months of live (more than making up for the two-three weeks of inconvenience), and it was fine before and since then.

There are many PS3 gamers getting rid of their launch PS3 for a slim, just because it “looks cooler”. I’m really hard-pressed to see a reason a.) not to upgrade to a better console after this far into the lifespan, especially when it’s a steal such as this, and b.) why you think this is indicative of anything other than what always happens with consoles, which is that newer, better versions come along.

I said that my Xbox is on its way out, not dead. It probably won’t be anytime soon. My girlfriend is getting more into video games, so I viewed this as a good opportunity to give her something to use on her own and for me to get COD, an extra controller, a bigger HDD than I even have on my computer, and a new (probably just branded Elite, but nonetheless inspected) console with HDMI for the future at the same time.

Does this somehow not make sense? I’m not going to build a desktop PC because I’m in a dorm, and I’m not going to buy a Slim because I have no need for a BluRay player. I’d like to know where you think I’m going wrong spending my money.

Comment by augustusbot on 2009-09-18 11:51:10

“With a console that’s supposed to have a ten year lifespan, does it not make sense to upgrade after a certain period of time”

Umm… ‘10 year lifespan’ =/= 4 years after release.

Comment by stumpa on 2009-09-18 13:08:53

your all heart giving her a dodgy xbox wot u getting her for xmas an ironing board ? lol

Comment by stumpa on 2009-09-18 13:11:07

i bought my misses bmw 5 series m sport and she don’t like it ungrateful cow

Comment by Veritas on 2009-09-18 17:23:48

No, it does not. It does, however, = “a certain period of time”.

You also missed the part about the warranties, which is probably the most important point. When Sony’s lasts for one and MS’s last for three with RROD, there’s no incentive to stick around with an older model when a newer, better, and warrantied one comes out nearly halfway through the lifespan.

Comment by augustusbot on 2009-09-18 17:34:41

If the lifespan of the system is 10 years… the console should last 10 years.

I have no fears about the durability of my PS3. There will never be a reason to buy another, considering I can replace the hard drive so easily if space is my only concern.

My launch 360 which has failed me once and been repaired / given an extra years warranty… i expect it to die before the 360 has been out for 10 years, and i doubt I replace it.

I’m curious… http://www.vgchartz.com/ lists total 360s worldwide as 31.96M, and total ps3s as 24.3M. How many of those 360 sales are people like you, buying their second, third, fourth consoles due to the 360s “lifespan”.

p.s. it’s retarded to buy a new product because your *currently functional* old product ran out of warranty.

Comment by Chris on 2009-09-18 18:50:35

give me a break, i’ve been through 4 fucking dead ps3’s, one the damn fans inside stopped, 2 times the frigging drive stopped reading discs, and the final time the screen lost all contrast completely… how did sony reward me for these? simple they didnt they said i’d have to send it back each time on my own dime!

Comment by Veritas on 2009-09-18 19:25:14

You’re still missing the point.

Your TV will last for years. Does that mean that you should never upgrade your TV, despite the fact that it will most likely have a 15+ year lifespan? If a newer, better model comes out five years later and you’re trying to keep up with the technology and have a better home theater experience, wouldn’t it make some sense to upgrade so you could have a better TV, once they reach a point that they’ve surpassed yours enough to warrant it?

That’s what I am doing. I am getting a newer, better console with HDMI functionality, a bigger hard drive, a new chipset, and a couple of other extras for a good deal. On top of it, I will be under warranty once again (a perfectly valid reason in a world of planned obsolescence, or haven’t you been paying attention to the way technology develops?), which is extra security should anything happen to it. Consumer Reports has shown that buyers would rather have a product with a long warranty despite the chance of failure over one with no or a very short warranty based on “dependability”.

Off-topic: FYI, “people like me” have pushed the 360s sales up because despite repeated failures, the 360 still breeds the most customer loyalty in its fan-base. I can say my own reason for this is that M$ owns up to their mistakes, so I at least know if my console breaks it will be taken care of… unlike Sony’s history of massive failure rates (PSX even more than the 360) and not acknowledging their mistakes at all.

That, and the games are better.

Comment by Jason Andrews on 2009-09-18 19:38:47

Kanye…where are you…

Comment by Kanye West on 2009-09-18 20:12:31

you augustusbot, i’m really happy for you and i’mma let you finish, but microsoft has one of the best consoles of all time!

of all time!!!

Comment by Jason Andrews on 2009-09-18 21:00:13

ahahah!!! :) :)

Comment by spooky on 2009-09-18 21:51:47

he is just mad because ps3 doesn’t get any limited consoles like M$ does so ps3 fanboys talk shit……………….

Comment by Lotus 111s on 2009-09-19 06:03:19

How anyone can justify buying another exactly same console is beyond me if what they got works (ps3 or Xbox), M$ and Sony must love idiots like that.

Veritas your argument using the ‘TV’ analogy is ridiculous, you upgrade your TV when a much better model is out, the new 360’s (and PS3 slims) are, regardless of new smaller chipsets and outputs, EXACTLY the same console, i wouldn’t buy the same TV 3yrs down the line just because they shrunk the electronics inside it. Poor argument and justification for giving Bill Gates more money.

@Stumpa you should of made her drive it mate you now got a Seat minibus ;) instead of BMW 5 Msport.

Comment by stumpa on 2009-09-19 07:23:45

yeah

Comment by tony on 2009-09-19 09:36:23

the ps3 aint got games! It aint got games!!!

Comment by Veritas on 2009-09-19 15:04:40

It’s not EXACTLY the same console. The new chipsets overheat/RROD less, which is a big upgrade in my book. As well, I plan on buying an HDTV soon, so when I do the HDMI will be a welcome addition so I can have the most options for a home theater system instead of just component or VGA. The new hard drive is obviously better (and will probably be less dodgy than my 120GB), and IT’S UNDER WARRANTY. All very big additions.

This IS a much better model. I never considered buying a new console until this thing popped up, and this would be the first time I’ve ever bought a new SKU of a console before the end of its lifespan. For once, I feel that the new features along with the extras actually warrant a purchase, especially considering the state of my old 360 and its HDD.

Click here to comment on the article on Xboxic.