After taking control of Atlus’s release of Vanillaware’s PlayStation 2 game ‘Odin Sphere’ for the European market, Square Enix is at it once again, choosing this time to pick up Nippon Ichi Software’s Disgaea DS, which will be released in Spring 2009 across all PAL territories.
Simple yet highly addictive, Disgaea DS is an updated portable version of the classic Strategy RPG Disgaea: Hour of Darkness, previously available on the PlayStation 2 and also remade for the PlayStation Portable. Since its release, Disgaea has won over a loyal following of fans that have grown to love the quirky humour and deep, long-lasting challenge. Now Nintendo DS fans will finally be able to get a piece of the action.
Disgaea DS does not just let you take the Disgaea madness on the road, but introduces exciting innovations such as the new duel system multiplayer, complete with masses of customisable rules and game options. You’ll also be able to connect to your friend’s Nintendo DS to swap and share items, take your battles to a new strategic level with Geo Cubes and there’s an added exclusive new story mode dedicated to Etna and her quest to become Beauty Queen Ultimate Overlord.
“I am delighted that we are able to bring Disgaea DS to players in Europe and PAL territories. Nippon Ichi has created a game perfectly suited for portable play that will entertain and challenge in equal measure.”
[b]- John Yamamoto, president and chief executive officer of Square Enix Ltd.[/b]
The Netherworld – a place darker than a pitch-black cave, located deeper than the depths of the seas. It is a cursed land where evil reigns and foul beings dwell. Nobody knows its whereabouts, but everybody fears its existence…The story takes place two years after the death of King Krichevskoy, the ruler of the Netherworld. His son Laharl slept for two full years, unaware of his father’s death, while demons fought for supremacy over the Netherworld. With the help of his vassal Etna and her underlings, the egocentric, megalomaniac Prince Laharl fights his way to become the next king.
- Discover who is the best strategist with the all-new duel system for multiplayer battles;
- Multi Customisation lets you customise the multiplayer mode, with changes to game rules, field and win/loss conditions and much more;
- Geo Cubes. These cubes have very special effects and are dealt equally to each player, use them carefully as they can both delight and infuriate;
- Shop and Share with Wireless Communication Mode, trade with friends and share your item data;
- Exclusive New Story. A dedicated story for Etna and an all-new ending if you defeat this mode;
- Guest Appearances – you never know who you’ll run into next with hidden characters waiting to be unlocked.
Disgaea for the Nintendo DS is coming Europe via Square Enix
But the question has to be, are there any readers out there that passed this up on PlayStation 2 and PlayStation Portable, but would now be willing to pick this up on DS? Share your thoughts on the matter by posting below…